The principal aim of this course is to increase students’ awareness of the role accurate statistical representations, calculations, reasoning and interpretation can play in their lives. It emphasises the theoretical, practical and applied nature of the subject.
The four areas of study are:
- Planning and data collection
- Processing, representing and analysing data
- Reasoning, interpreting and discussing results
The work done in GCSE Mathematics is built upon and extended.
GCSE Statistics is assessed by a 2 ½ hour written examination, containing one short answer and one long answer section. The written examination makes up 75% of the qualification. The remaining 25% of the qualification comes from a controlled assessment component, consisting of one major project completed in examination conditions in the classroom. A qualification in Statistics would strongly support courses in areas such as Economics or Business and Finance. The Mathematics used would also reinforce work in AS level Psychology and Biology, amongst others.